"12 Dads of Xmas" DAY 10: Andre of The Hipster Dad

Friday, December 21, 2012



1. Why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers (Name, Kids (How Many / Names), Occupation, Location?)
My name is Andre Brown; I have one amazingly awesome, beautiful and witty wife named Liz who is the biggest Christmas fan of the holidays that I know. Also a beyond cute daughter named Eila and we are expecting our second child due in May. I am a recent graduate of Mass Art and my occupation is that of Director of Security for a shopping center in Boston.  So this is an exciting time this Holiday season with actually being able to have free time and enjoy family time this year.


2. When does "the Holiday Season" start for you?
The Holiday Season starts on the trip home for Thanksgiving when Liz (My Wife) starts looking for radio stations that Play Christmas Songs. 

3. What do you and your family do to keep the magic of Christmas alive? 

I guess for Liz and I it is the joy of starting traditions of our own and now having Eila help put up ornaments is part of that magic. Picking out the tree and putting up the lights is a big one. We actually buy a new ornament for Eila to put on the tree each year as a tradition.  The look on Eila and my wife’s face when the lights turned on this year was precious and I want that feeling to last for as long as possible. Having kids most definitely keeps the magic of Christmas alive. You didn’t hear this from me but Liz is the biggest kid of all during Christmas time. We watch all the Christmas movies; just about every preset on the radio in the car is set to Christmas music. So I can’t help but feed off of that enthusiasm. I mean we have Christmas mugs for our Hot Chocolate.


4. What's your favorite holiday movie?
I have a few favorites but two or three movies stand out for me and the first is “It’s a Wonderful life”. I could go on and on about how awesome that movie is. But the best part is that the movie never feels out-dated to me.  My other favorite movie is a Toss-up between A Charlie Brown Christmas and Prancer. Oh the music in Charlie Brown is so cool. I love pig Pen whenever he sings and Prancer made me want a Reindeer to come crashing down in my backyard in Florida.

5. Is there anything you always wanted for Christmas as a child and never got?
Not to be a Debbie Downer but growing up there were a lot of things that I wanted that I knew my Grandparents couldn’t afford. So I was okay with that aspect of not getting certain things. As long as there was a new basketball and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle that my brother some how “attained from Santa” through magic or delivering things then I was good.


6. Holiday Tree or Christmas Tree: Real of fake? Discuss. 
I could care less about the tree but there is something about the smell of a real tree that makes it feel more Christmas-y. I will say that picking out a tree is fun because there are so many and the job of Keeping Liz from getting the fattest Fraser Fir possible is what I enjoy about it as well.



7. Do you have any unique holiday traditions? 
There is one from my childhood that I want to bring back with my older brother Adrian. He had a favorite toy growing up which was this glow in the dark blue He-Man shield that he gave to me, that he said would protect me when I was scared. So for the next 7 or 8 years we passed this shield back and forth as a gift on Christmas until he became a teenager. So I am trying to find that toy and start it with Eila and maybe she can do the same thing with baby number 2.

8. As people may know, you and your wife struggled with fertility issues and went through a lot to have your first child. You guys are expecting your second child now and didn't have the same struggle (congrats to your little swimmers btw!). What did it feel like to not only find out you were having a second child unexpectedly but also that it was doctor / struggle free. 
Well When I found out I was shocked and there were quite a few get out of heres and yeah rights being said. I think I might have said Oh holy expletive in there too. I obviously felt joy but I was more happy for Liz because I kept thinking to myself that I didn’t know if I could go through the ups and downs that is a major part of infertility. I will write a post about the highs, lows, and patience that you need. But I really felt in my heart that I couldn’t treat my wife as if she were a science experiment like Ivan Drago from Rocky 4 or Barry Bonds. There were needles, pills and all kinds of other stuff that I quite frankly was dreading. So this was quite a pleasant and shocking relief on my part. I was glad my swimmers did the job and even more proud of Liz because I knew her feelings about her reproductive system. So next year we will have another baby to help hang ornaments and brainwash him/her into thinking that the movie Prancer should be a cinematic classic like 2001 a Space Odyssey and that DMX’s Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is the best version of that song and that there should only be a Fraser Fir Christmas tree in our house. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...