"12 Dads of Xmas" DAY 11: Craig of The Hipster Dad

Saturday, December 22, 2012

1. Why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers (Name, Kids (How Many / Names), Occupation, Location?)

My name is Craig Silva and I am 1/4th of The Hipster Dad. I have one daughter named Sierra who is amazing, energetic, strong willed and as sharp as a tack. In addition to a beautiful daughter I also have a beautiful domestic partner. She's everything one could ask for in a mother and I feel so lucky that she's my babies mama... She's also the best vegan chef ever and I feel very lucky about that too. By day I am a graphic designer at SapientNitro and by night I do freelance design work, run this blog, run a small record label and any spare time goes to making art so I don't feel too badly about spending a ton of money on a fine arts degree.



Sierra is quite the fashionista.

Top row = Us in our non-parenting party days. Bottom = Us dropping Sierra off at daycare.
2. When does "the Holiday Season" start for you?

Like most people it starts to feel like the holiday season to me right around Thanksgiving. It's when i start realizing I should probably start Christmas shopping and start living in fear of the day that house decorating AKA light untangling begins.



3. What do you and your family do to keep the magic of Christmas alive? 

Magic isn't real guys, sorry to burst your bubble but to keep Christmas happiness alive it's all about friends and family for me and I do my best to see as many as possible during this time. We have a few Christmas parties and then of course Xmas Eve and Xmas day. On the eve we go to my parents and on the day we go to hers - but we still do Christmas morning at our own home just the three of us.




4. What's your favorite holiday movie?

Muppet Christmas Carol. Hands down. I've loved it forever and it's just so funny, cute and the songs are amazing. Sadly, Sierra isn't a fan yet but I plan on working on that.



5. Is there anything you always wanted for Christmas as a child and never got?

Not to sound like a spoiled brat but I always got everything I wanted. Ok so I was a spoiled brat - sue me. My parents are not well off by any means but they always went without for themselves, worked overtime and did whatever they had to do to make sure my sisters and I were happy. I will always remember everything they did and continute to do for us. Thanks Mom and Dad!

6. Holiday Tree or Christmas Tree: Real of fake? Discuss. 

Well I'm torn. Growing up I always had a fake tree because my mother is alergic to pine so the act of taking the branches from the box and snapping it together with my father will forever be a memory I hold near and dear but since moving out I have switched to a real tree. Mostly because I never had one and wanted to see what all the hooplah was about and partly because Lauren is a big real-tree kinda gal. I will say the feel, smell and act of choosing one is pretty awesome but I could go either way.

As far as calling it Christmas or Holiday I could really care less. I personally call it a Christmas Tree but I don't give a what if City Hall calls it Holiday tree. Mostly I just wish the radio / TV / people in general would stop making such a big deal about what we call it.




7. Do you have any unique holiday traditions? 

Every "Christmas Eve Eve" we have a small party called "The Night Before the Night Before" at my parents house. I've been doing this for probably 10 years at this point. It's my parents, myself and a small group of my friends. I've always loved it it's sort of the 'calm before the storm'. It's nice to just have a small, quiet get togethert with people you really love to be around. 

(Also to anyone attending this year this is the official hash tag #TNBTNB2012)

Besides that our only other big thing for us is that we do Christmas morning just the three of us in our own home. It means a TON of driving between Boston, New Bedford and Franklin over 48 hours but it's totally worth it in our opinion!

8. So what started out as a blog with two friends sharing experiences of fatherhood and everyday life has grown really quickly within the last year. You guys have added two new Dads and connected with countless othewrs. My question for you is where would you like to see THD grow and maybe give us a couple of hints for next year? Also what has been the most exciting thing about sharing so much of yourself on here?

I am super excited about how THD has grown in the past year. As you mentioned Michael and I added two more full time contributors: Don Naylor and Andre Brown - two of my best friends and also two of the most amazing fathers I know. I'm so happy they decided to join as both offer such a new perspective and insightful input into the world of fatherdom.

In the next year I would love to see THD grow in both contributors and readership. We have a pretty steady reader base now but the more the merrier! In addition to just growing in content creation and readership I'd love to offer more than what we do now. I'd love to do more 'weekly series', product reviews and video stuff. So keep an eye on the blog and we are MORE than open to any ideas you may have or request for what you as a reader would love to see us do! -Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...