"12 Dads of Xmas" DAY 7: Don Naylor (Adeline's Daddy)

Tuesday, December 18, 2012



1. Why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers (Name, Kids (How Many / Names), Occupation, Location?)
Hey, my name is Don. I had a blog for a while before I moved over this one that was named after my daughter Adeline. She recently turned 2 years old. I live with my beautiful wife Rachel and Addy in Marblehead MA, just north of Boston. I am a Creative Content Manager and have been in the graphic design field for about 10 years. I also am part of this here blog that you are reading right now.


2. When does "the Holiday Season" start for you?
Well, for me the Holiday Season Starts shortly after Thanksgiving.... BUT in my house I start hearing holiday music starting mid-October. For the most part what my wife says goes, so I guess it starts for me the first time I hear "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" blasting throughout the house.

3. What do you and your family do to keep the magic of Christmas alive? 
For my family it is important to constantly be doing holiday projects as a family. I'm an atheist so the basic meaning of Christmas and the Holidays relates to family and the magic of memories. So, the magic we create are the times that we sped together as a family.


4. What's your favorite holiday movie?
I'm going to have to go with Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. I do love the jams like A Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation but there is something really special about how I imagine the old timey holidays to be. I seriously listen to the soundtrack all year round. 

5. Is there anything you always wanted for Christmas as a child and never got?
This may be really showing my age, but I remember one year the only thing that I wanted was a walkman cassette player. I wanted so badly to be able to ride my skateboard and rock that new Gorilla Biscuits cassette. Sadly it didn't happen for me. I don't think I got a portable player until CDs were around. Not so great for skating though, always skipped. Can't beat that analog shit I guess. Little did I know that 20 years later hipsters were going to be putting out cassettes still (see antique-records.com), but I would still have no walkman. 


6. Holiday Tree or Christmas Tree: Real of fake? Discuss. 
In a lot of ways I can understand why some people would want to call it a Holiday tree, however I was brought up with a Christmas tree so I feel a little pretentious calling it something different when very little has changed in how it is used. And... you gotta keep it real I wouldn't feel right with a artificial tree.

7. Do you have any unique holiday traditions? 
I honestly don't have many family traditions that have been passed down to me but my wife and  I are trying to make some new ones with Adeline. I don't really plan on having them be anything really note worthy, more classic ones I wish I had growing up. 


8. About a year ago you uprooted your family from Upstate NY and moved to the Boston area for a life and career change. That must have been difficult. In your mind what was the most difficult part and what was the most rewarding?
I've always had a desire for adventure and seeing new things. I had done some touring with a band and saw the country, but had always lived in the same area. When the opportunity came up for a move and new job I knew it would be tough to move away from all of our families to an area where we only knew a couple of people. But I also knew this would be an amazing new direction for our little fam. The hardest part of the move was actually finding a new home. We had been rooted so well where we were and owned an awesome old home. The Boston rental market is off the hook, so competitive and so expensive. The move was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. We are on a totally different path as a family and that path is leading us on amazing adventures and memories. I'm happy to be bringing my daughter up in the current climate that we have set up for her. If you asked my wife too, she is beyond stoked. 

Twitter - @Don_Naylor
DonNaylor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...