"12 Dads of Xmas" DAY 5: Kenny Friedman (@SmonkYou)

Sunday, December 16, 2012




1. Why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers
(Name, Kids (How Many / Names), Occupation, Location?)

Kenny (wife staci) kid, Miloh (almost 3) just one kid and stopping at one. 
Creative director (design) in a suburb of Minneapolis but I just say minneapolis because to admit I'm from a suburb makes me die a little.



2. When does "the Holiday Season" start for you?
No fucking idea. Seriously. Being Jewish (and I believe the token Jew of this 12 dads of Xmas) I'm always thrown off with Hanukkah changing every year. Next year it's the day before Thanksgiving which is wonky, sometimes it goes into January. That's a rambling way to say I don't know when they start. 

But I get into the Xmas season although it's not religious in my world. I guess it started for me last week this year when the family went driving around looking at the lights.

3. What do you and your family do to keep the magic of Christmas alive? 
Xmas–per that last question I don't keep it alive and probably kill it as when MF asked why there were lights I said Jesus was scared of the dark... It sounds reasonable to me.

But I did grow up with a family friend that had us over to decorate the tree every year. I'd love Miloh to have that opportunity as he grows because it's fun. 

For Hanukkah we do the dreidel thing but and have a felt menorah that he likes playing with. He is a bit too young to get it and I'm not into religion so it will be more of a celebration of that time of year.



4. What's your favorite holiday movie?
Christmas Story... And I'm proud to say I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life 

5. Is there anything you always wanted for Christmas as a child and never got?
Not that I can think of... We didn't have major cash but I got kick ass stuff when I was a kid... The best was the Hot Mattel Master Caster... It was awesome http://www.toysyouhad.com/Mastercaster.htm

6. Holiday Tree or Christmas Tree: Real of fake? Discuss. 
Real wood Dreidel... The plastic ones are ehh... 

7. Do you have any unique holiday traditions? 
I eat Chinese food on Christmas. I think a lot of Jewish people do. There are a lot of Chinese restaurants open that day and the Jews love some Chinese food (I speak for all of us) so it becomes a Xmas tradition for a lot of people. It wouldn't be Xmas for me without it. http://www.smonkyou.com/2011/12/very-jewy-christmas.html



8. You own the self-proclaimed 'Best Freaking Daddy Blog Ever' and I noticed you haven't posted much lately. I was curious if this is the end of SmonkYou.com as we know it or if you're just super busy altely - and if so - with what!?

I think the only way for me to keep it the Best Freaking Daddy Blog Ever was to stop writing. If I was still writing I'd be pushing out total shit. Really I never meant to start a blog but then I had a thing; a blog about a dude who was scared of kids and now had one. It worked for me until it wasn't such a weird thing. If I still wrote I'd be doing stuff that bored me. Plus I wanted to spend time with MF instead of writing about spending time with him.

That's not to say it's totally dead. I'm starting a Masters Program for HCI (Human Computer Interaction) and I'm really into the psychology of that... Especially with kids. For instance although I'm all for digital and make my living building digital experiences I think digital stuff is semi-evil for super young kids. Perhaps I'll do posts on that and how it's easier to want to keep your kid away from it but hard to do in the real world.

For now I have some thoughts on that (and more) on notshitty.com but really I only have that site because the name came up in a meeting and I was blown away no one owned it... So I bought it.

Connect with Kenny:
smonkyou.com and twitter.com/smonkyou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...